Altered Letters - Color Challenge

06:00:00

Hello Scrappy Friends!!!

I am so excited to post this project!  ...So excited, that I leaked a sneak peak on Facebook and Instagram on Friday...lol

The challenge at Use Your Stuff this week is a Color Challenge.  I am in love with this combination of colors.  Purples and greens in any combination are really my favourite combination these days.  I struggle to challenge myself to do something NOT including purple... hehehehe.

The new collection from Heartfelt Creations has reached my paws and I was excited to break into it.


I had some wooden letters in my project drawer.  I knew I loved the idea of my initials as Scraproom Decor, but had no idea what I was going to actually create.  In the drawer they have sat for the last 6 months!

I sanded down the blocks and applied Gesso all over each surface.  I measured each side of the letters and cut them out as needed.  I am very happy I only had to use one piece of that beautiful paper!  Does anyone else suffer from that?  "Too beautiful to use it paper syndrome??"...lol

I used Gel Medium to adhere the paper to the blocks.  After I let that dry, I sanded the edges again for a bit of a distressed look.  I used chalk ink on all of the edges.

Here are a few close-ups.


I had a mini frame in my stash.  I sponged a little purple chalk ink on the raised parts of the frame and used Art Institute Dries Clear glue to adhere it to the "T".  The safety pin is from Tim Holtz.  I also added a few dew drops for some bling.



The scroll bits are cut from the Coral die from this die set.  For the bottom flower, I decided to fold it with the stamped side out, so it looks like a flower bud.  The clear and gold button is by Tim Holtz.

The flowers and leaves are from the Under the Sea Collection - Hibiscus.  I stamped them with Colorbox pigment ink in a dark purple shade on white cardstock, and die-cut them with the coordinating dies.



To color the flowers, I used Versamagic Chalk inks and a sponge dauber.  I applied the Lime green for the stamen, Aquamarine for the centers and Pretty Petunia for the edges.


 I shaped the flowers with Mcgill Flower shaping tools.  I spritzed the back off each flower lightly with water so that they will dry hard in that shape.  Using the large ball, I pressed around the edges of each petal.  The more pressure you use, the more rounded shape you will get.

                          

I used some fine tweezers to crimp the edges of each petal to give the flower a natural petal shape.


After they were all crimped, I flipped them upside down and used the ball tool again just in the base of each petal to help curve the flower.

                        
The final shaping step is to flip it right-side up and use the ball tool in a circular motion to pop the petals up.
The next step is adding the micro beads to the stamens.  When layering the flowers, I cut the stamen off of the smaller flower and glued it with the petals slightly off-set, letting the stamen  poke up between the petals of the top layer.  When the glue was dried, I added the micro beads to the flower centers.

So happy you stopped by!  Leave your comment below and follow my blog for a chance to win some Blog Candy!  I will be giving away a pack of these beautiful handmade flowers on Sunday June 12th!

I hope you will join in our color challenge this week over at Use Your Stuff!  
Here are the colors for this week's challenge:

Don't forget to check out all of the wonderful inspiration my Teamies have created to share with you.

Until Next time...
Happy Scrappin!!

3 comments

Thank you for taking the time to leave your thoughts!
Tammy

You Might Also Like

TLC Paper Passions

TLC Paper Passions is a blog to share inspiration and techniques for scrapbooking, card making, altered art and mixed media. Check out our Class Calendar page for upcoming classes! (Tab at the top) I hope you will join us and get a little inky!

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Total Pageviews